HOME >> Donate >> FAQs on Donation

FAQs on Children's Charity Donation

CRY UK's Donation FAQsIs there any advantage to donating online?
Yes. When you donate online, you help us twice over, as it is the most cost effective way of collecting funds for CRY UK. It helps us minimise administration costs ensuring more of your donation is used to help the children.

Is it very complicated to donate online?
Not at all. It's simple and safe. Here is what you have to do to make a donation online:
Specify your donation details.

Fill in the personal information as this will enable us process your donation(s) and send you a receipt.

Your selection will be displayed for review. Please check the information carefully and make sure that it is correct.

Once you confirm the details are correct, you will be taken to Streamline payment gateway.
Fill in your credit card details. You will get an immediate confirmation of your donation. You will also receive an email message with a donation number.

Do I need any special hardware or software to donate online?
Not really. You can donate online if you are using any of the web browser like Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and above, Firefox 3.6 and above, Safari, etc

Is it safe to give my credit card details online?
Yes. We adopt stringent security measures to ensure that critically sensitive information, such as your personal information and your credit card details, are protected. These measures include the following:

  • All your personal information is encrypted before it is transmitted over the internet. This guarantees that your information is inaccessible to any third party.
  • We use industry-standard SSL (Standard Sockets Layer) Encryption Technology for data encryption.
  • We have been certified as a Geotrust Secure site. Geotrust is a leading US-based Net Authentication Agency which certifies that a site's transactions are secured by SSL encryption.
  • We have implemented an Address Verification System to safe guard against fraud on our payment gateway.

How can I disable the pop-up blocker to register?
Our site uses pop-ups in certain sections. To ensure easy access and browsing on the site, just enable the pop-up blocker. Go to your "Windows Firewall" and disable the blocker. Incase, you have a third party pop-up blocker like Google Bar or Hotmail Bar or even an anti-virus pop-up blocker like Norton Internet Security, you will need to disable that.

How safe is my personal information with CRY UK on the CRY UK site?
We are committed to protecting your personal information. For more details, please do read our Privacy Policy.

What if my address or phone number changes?
Simply write to us at cry.uk@crymail.org  and let us know; we will update our records.

Can donate in sterling?
We only accept UK pounds for offline and online donations.

How do I contact you regarding my donation?
For more assistance or information on donating to CRY UK please do write to us at cry.uk@crymail.org

If I donate £10 will it be used to 'educate a child for a year'?
The various amounts indicated on our website are examples of what your donation can achieve. All donations that come to CRY UK are pooled together and disbursed to our projects in India working to ensure children realise their rights.

Are the amounts quoted exact? How have they been calculated?
The donation amounts are an approximation of how much it costs CRY UK and its partners to provide the stated programmes/outcomes to children and communities. They have been calculated on the basis our project funding budgets and impact achieved.

Are there any tax benefits for donating to CRY UK?
Yes, if you are a higher rate tax payer. See the section below on Gift Aid.

Gift Aid your donation FAQs

If you Gift Aid your donation, CRY UK will receive an additional 25p for every pound you give.

As a UK registered charity CRY UK can claim Gift Aid tax relief of 25p on every pound you give.

How can I sign up for Gift Aid?
All you need to do is tick the relevant Gift Aid box on the form when making your online or offline donation.

How does Gift Aid work?
Gift Aid is one of the easiest ways to make your donation tax effective. The charity you are supporting reclaims the basic rate tax on your donation from the HMRC. There is no extra cost to you and the process is simple - all you have to do is make a Gift Aid declaration.

What does the Gift Aid declaration commit me to?
Absolutely nothing! It just ensures that if you choose to donate to CRY UK, we can claim an extra 25 per cent back from the HMRC.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?
It is simply a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want a charity to get back from the HMRC the tax paid on their donation. This is a great way to add 25 per cent to the value of your gift to CRY UK without it costing you a penny more!

Gift Aid - do I qualify?
For every £1 you donate to CRY UK in a financial year, you must have paid 25 in income or capital gains tax in the same financial year to qualify for Gift Aid.

How do I know if I pay UK income or capital gains tax?
You pay these taxes if:

  • income tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay
  • you pay tax after filling in a self-assessment form each year
  • you have any taxable savings (in a Building Society, for instance), or a pension plan, or investment income
  • you have paid any capital gains tax, on the sale of a property or some shares, for instance.

If any of these applies to you, please complete and return your declaration so CRY UK can reclaim the tax on your donations. NB Inheritance tax does not count as UK income or capital gains tax.

Why does it work out at 25 pence for every pound given?
Basic rate tax is currently 20 per cent. Your donation of £1 is treated as the net after tax from £1.25 (£1.25 minus 20 per cent is £1).

What if I don't pay UK tax?
Then, unfortunately, you are not able to make a Gift Aid declaration.

What if I'm a pensioner?
You may still pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay capital gains tax if you sell property or shares. If so, please tick the Gift Aid declaration.

What if I'm a higher rate taxpayer?
CRY UK can claim back basic rate tax on your donation only.

As a higher rate taxpayer, if you declare your donations on your tax return, you can claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form.

For example, if a higher rate taxpayer makes donations totaling £100 over a year, on top of the £25 that CRY UK claims back directly, you can reclaim as much as £25 from HMRC.

What if I'm a lower rate taxpayer?
If you pay a lower rate (10 per cent or 20 per cent), CRY UK can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the gift(s).

What if I make my donations via CAF (Charities Aid Foundation)?
If you normally make donations via CAF, tax has already been reclaimed. However, please fill in the declaration anyway so that any separate donations you might make are tax effective as well.

How long does the declaration last for?
To simplify matters for both you and CRY UK, the declaration wording normally covers present, future and past donations. We are able to claim on any future gifts and all gifts that you have made to CRY UK in the last four years, as long as you are eligible.

What should I do if my tax status changes or I want to cancel my declaration?
You can cancel an existing Gift Aid Declaration at any time by notifying us.

If your circumstances change and you no longer pay enough income or capital gains tax to cover the amount claimed by CRY UK, please contact us.

Please also notify us if you change your name or address.
You can contact us in one of the following ways:

  • Email: cry.uk@crymail.org
  • Write to us at:

    Mr. Teja Picton-Howell
    Child Rights and You UK
    C/O - Penningtons Manches LLP
    Abacus House, 33 Gutter Lane, London, EC2V 8AR.
Child Rights and You UK is registered charity no. 1119026 Registered in England as a company limited by guarantee having
company number 05621889. Write to us at: Mr. Teja Picton-Howell, Child Rights and You UK, C/O - Penningtons Manches LLP,
Abacus House, 33 Gutter Lane, London, EC2V 8AR.
Email: cry.uk@crymail.org


About CRY UK CRY UK and Child Rights The CRY UK Team How are We Different Careers Financial Details Newsletters and Downloads FAQs
Projects We Support What We Do How We Work Stories of Hope CRY UK Campaigns
Honour Roll Voices
EventsVolunteer My Occasion and CRY UK
Adopt a Hamlet Donation Options FAQs on Donation
Press Releases Videos